Thursday, September 9, 2010

A Picture of Mr. Ripley

Back from the Round House Theatre's first show of the 2010-11 season, The Talented Mr. Ripley, adapted from the Patricia Highsmith novel by playwright Phyllis Nagy and director Blake Robison.

I'm sorry to say I was disappointed in the production, a faint echo of last season's opener, the similarly themed A Picture of Dorian Gray. Whereas the Oscar Wilde classic had complexity and a cunning charm (not to mention RHT's stunning production, a spiffy Sixties rendering of Warholian decadance), the talents of this Ripley guy eluded me.

Nothing wrong with the acting (Karl Miller in the title role), but the static set and dreary, low-key direction couldn't keep me from drifting off.

Maybe it was just me. Tired, achy, a long day at work, and a good full meal before the show. But maybe it wasn't me. Who knows. Last year the Washington Post hated "A Picture of Dorian Gray," whereas I loved it and thought it one of the bravest productions RHT had ever done. So probably WaPo will love their Mr. Ripley--the couple sitting next to me did.

Anyway, that's my recap. Time for bed.

love, hosaa
wondering if I am officially a little old lady, with endurance only for the Sunday matinees anymore....

No comments: