Saturday, June 2, 2012

Doubled (over) Indemnity

A day or two late in posting my recap of the Thursday night preview performance of Round House Theatre's rendition of the noir classic Double Indemnity.


First of all, I was absolutely thrilled to open the program and see that the production would star one of my all-time favorite RHT actors, Mr. Marty Lodge.

Marty Lodge, via IMDb

I've been a fan of Marty's since RHT's 2001 production of George F. Walker's Problem Child, and my admiration was cemented with his tour-de-force performance in The Drawer Boy (2003). Marty has a sly, wry, hangdog overcoat covering a sincerely sinister underbelly.

The problem with this production is that its surprises invoked laughter. I'm not sure why. The sexual tension between Marty and co-star Celeste Ciulla never sparked for me, so the mutual seduction between the characters Huff and Phyllis erupted too suddenly. Rather than taking our breaths, it punched out  a surprised rumble of laughter in our audience.

The obvious comparison is to the classic film version of Double Indemnity, which grips you by the throat and never lets go. There is not a single laugh in the picture, though the exchanges are incredibly witty. Sample dialogue (not occurring in the RHT production; and ignore the name change, Huff/Marty Lodge versus Neff/Fred MacMurray):

Phyllis: Mr. Neff, why don't you drop by tomorrow evening about eight-thirty. He'll be in then.
Walter Neff: Who?
Phyllis: My husband. You were anxious to talk to him weren't you?
Walter Neff: Yeah, I was, but I'm sort of getting over the idea, if you know what I mean.
Phyllis: There's a speed limit in this state, Mr. Neff. Forty-five miles an hour.
Walter Neff: How fast was I going, officer?
Phyllis: I'd say around ninety. 
Walter Neff: Suppose you get down off your motorcycle and give me a ticket. 
Phyllis: Suppose I let you off with a warning this time. 
Walter Neff: Suppose it doesn't take. 
Phyllis: Suppose I have to whack you over the knuckles. 
Walter Neff: Suppose I bust out crying and put my head on your shoulder. 
Phyllis: Suppose you try putting it on my husband's shoulder.
Walter Neff: That tears it. 

(A side note from the audience: I'm pleased with myself for being the one in our area who, during intermission, could answer the question of who starred in the film: Fred MacMurray and Barbara Stanwyck. I even remembered Edward G. Robinson as the insurance guy, Fred MacMurray's supervisor, investigating the case.)

So I'm not sure what to tell you about this production. I liked it, but don't go in expecting a live, 3-D recreation of the movie. The ending is even different, though I don't exactly recall the movie's ending. I just know this wasn't it.

Double Indemnity plays at Round House Theatre in Bethesda through June 24, 2012.

Written by James M. Cain
Adapted for the stage by David Pichette and R. Hamilton Wright
Directed by Eleanor Holdridge

Cast:
Marty Lodge as Huff
Celeste Ciulla as Phyllis
Todd Scofield as Nirlinger and Keyes
Molly Cahill Govern as Lola and secretary
Danny Gavigan as Nino, Jackson, and Norton

ETA, Happy 10th Anniversary, RHT-Bethesda!


photo by C. G. Wagner - permission to reproduce is granted provided credit is given

No comments: