Monday, November 25, 2013

Juliet and Romeo

Back from yesterday's matinee of Romeo and Juliet at the Folger Shakespeare Theatre on Capitol Hill. It was a tight almost-three-hour afternoon, well paced, and I really really liked the production. Mostly. I have issues.

This is sort of a problem play for me, and the very spunkiness, intelligence, strength, and independence of the strikingly young-seeming actress Erin Weaver as Juliet made the problem all the more vivid. Juliet is too good for Romeo. She's too smart for what happens to her. It's always been a problem to me that Juliet doesn't just go off with Romeo in his banishment.

Erin Weaver, Michael Goldsmith, in Romeo and Juliet. Photo by Teresa Wood for Folger Theatre, via Facebook
Photo by Jeffrey Malet for Folger Theatre, via Facebook
This production gives her a little bit of a reason to stay: fear, in the form of the menacing ferocity of her angered father (played by Brian Dykstra). So maybe the answer is that she's too smart to run away from a father who is that determined to sell her off to his friend. One of the strengths of this production was seeing the growth of this Juliet, from nerdy, bookish little girl with a teddy bear to a passionate bride eager to begin her life as a wife.

But beyond the text (some of which was used for this staging, directed by Erin Weaver's husband, Aaron Posner), I do think that this Juliet was also too good for this Romeo (Michael Goldsmith). Just my opinion, but a feeling shared by a few of the folks in our Meetup group. I wasn't feeling the chemistry, the sense that these two were perfectly matched and meant to be. It's intangible, but there needs to be charisma, and I just didn't feel it from Goldsmith--nor, for that matter, from the Mercutio (Brad Koed) or the Tybalt (Rex Daugherty). I think they performed their roles well, but again, it's an intangible something I missed.

My eyes (and ears) went to the amazing Eric Hissom, portraying the good Friar Lawrence (as well as taking the lines otherwise assigned to the uncast chorus and Prince). He was the ghost-tiger at Round House last season in Bengal Tiger at the Baghdad Zoo.

Eric Hissom, via Maryland Theatre Guide
Cast, Romeo and Juliet. Eric Hissom, center. Photo by Jeffrey Malet for Folger Theatre, via Facebook
What a presence! What a voice!



So this brings me to the other "issue" I had with this production. I didn't mind the edits to the text, though I thought the accompanying exhibit out in the Folger Library's great hall was kind of funny: Titled "Here Is a Play Fitted," it seemed to be one great justification for abridging Shakespeare. There's even an exchange of letters between an actor and another early 20th-century theatrical type (producer?) agreeing that it is not possible to perform Shakespeare as written. (Excuse me?)

I'm not opposed to choices made in deference to exhausted audience members with short attention spans. The lines delivered were deliberate, clear, and clarifying. Scenes then overlapped one another, keeping the production tight and lively. So I never missed all that much of the excised text. Until the last lines.

I imagine there are few people attending a production of Romeo and Juliet willingly who don't know that the Prince is supposed to come out at the end and tell them that the tale of woe they just saw was a tale of woe. Yes, it's like, duh: Romeo takes poison in a brash romantic gesture to his dead love, only to recoil in horrific pain at the reality of that choice. Juliet then rashly thrusts the dagger into her own breast, making the same romantic choice, and likewise recoiling in horrific pain. The reality was obvious, so the recap by the Prince probably is superfluous.

But from a practical, audience point of view, that slow, silent fade out deprived me of that glorious voice of Eric Hissom one last time. I felt cheated. It also meant I didn't know when to applaud. Yes, you do need to cue the audience. Duh.

As I said, I really really liked this show. My criticisms are minor. Well, except for the last lines. I really wanted those:
A glooming peace this morning with it brings.
The sun for sorrow will not show his head.
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardoned, and some punishèd;
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Juliet and her Romeo.

Romeo and Juliet, William Shakespeare
Folger Theatre (Washington, DC), October 15-December 1, 2013
Directed by Aaron Posner

Cast:
Juliet: Erin Weaver
Romeo: Michael Goldsmith
Friar Lawrence: Eric Hissom (also fight captain)
Nurse: Sarah Holt (understudy for Sherri L. Edelen)
Mercutio: Brad Koed
Tybalt: Rex Daugherty
Benvolio: Aaron Bliden
Lord Capulet: Brian Dykstra
Lady Capulet: Shannon Koob
Lord Montague: Allen McCullough
Lady Montague: Michele Osherow
Paris: Joe Mallon
Balthazar/Peter/Friar John: Matthew McGee

Production credits:
Composer: Carla Kihlstedt
Scenic design: Meghan Raham
Costume design: Laree Lentz
Lighting design: Jennifer Schriever
Sound design: Christopher Baine
Fight director: Casey Dean Kaleba
Dramaturg: Michele Osherow

eta ~ funny how I just now noticed that dramaturg Michele Osherow also played Lady Montague. She wrote in a nice bit of business for herself. I never remembered that Lady Montague dies before the end of the play. The textual reference to it must have been in the masses of words left on the cutting room floor. Here, the character is shown pouring poison into her own wine cup and drinking it, then joining the ghosts of Tybalt and Mercutio (and later, Paris) on the platform above the surviving characters, overseeing their actions. I thought it was a great staging.


No comments: