Sunday, March 23, 2014

Eternal Equinox of A Midsummer Dream

This will have to be a two-parter.

Chapter 1, Wherein I Meetup with Shakespeare Explorers

... for a Kennedy Center performance of A Midsummer Night's Dream by Bristol Old Vic and the Handspring Puppet Company (who previously collaborated on War Horse).

This was the second Midsummer I've seen with the Explorers, and the two productions really only shared Mr. Shakespeare's text. That's the thing about dreams--always open to interpretation, reinterpretation, new visions, and new magic. While much of the success of any Midsummer begins and ends with the antics of Bottom the Ass (and BOV's Miltos Yerolemou displayed a wondrously versatile ass), so many aspects of this production were so extraordinary that it was impossible to refrain from standing up and cheering.

Via Kennedy Center



My favorite innovation here was the multi-actor/appliance casting of Puck. As a sprite, Puck was depicted coming and going in a most ephemeral way--with each of three actors bearing pieces of his being (assorted gardening tools) coming together and flying apart.

A wonderful time at the theater with some great folks to talk to, before and after. And that wasn't even the most exciting part of the night for me.


Chapter 2, Wherein I Make another Connection to Edward Duke

So this is also the second time in recent months I got to meet someone who once worked with Edward. (For the story of the first, which happened last December, go here and scroll to my brief encounter with Keith Baxter.)

During the intermission of last night's show, I was chatting with one of my Meetuppers about the musical she is writing--not a professional work, she caveated, but something that captured her imagination to the extent of having completed the lyrics for five songs.

As sometimes happens in theaters with awkward sightlines and a few available seats closer to the action, a gentleman from farther back asked to take a space next to my friend. So we continued our conversation, including our new neighbor. He volunteered that he, too, was a playwright.

Oh, anything we would have seen around here?

Um, a few ... and on Broadway. (Our amateur eyes lit up.) ... "Crazy for You"...

I literally gasped. I LOVED that!!  It took me a moment to summon the name. KEN???




The gentleman then introduced himself while I was heartily shaking his hand: Ken Ludwig.

Ken Ludwig, photo by Leslie Cashen

As Midsummer's second act began, I couldn't stop searching my memory banks to confirm that this was the playwright of Sullivan and Gilbert, which featured Edward Duke in the role of the stagestruck Alfred, son of Victoria.

So after the performance was over, our standing ovation segueing into heading for the exits, I asked Ken to confirm my memory, which he did. And I got to remind him that it was in fact in this very same theater (the Eisenhower) that his Sullivan and Gilbert was performed. It was the first time I met Edward, who had actually called me up at my office to invite me! (My recap of meeting Edward is here.)



Ken smiled and told me what a sweet man Edward was. They spent a lot of fun times together when the show opened in Toronto. "Very sweet man."

All of this made me very happy. But as it happens, Ken has a further connection with us: Shakespeare!

Order at Amazon

Love, hosaa
Always connecting


No comments: