Saturday, October 11, 2014

Phil Vassar at The Birchmere

I've never had a bad time at the Birchmere, but tonight was one of the most enjoyable times I've had there. Always at the top of the list is getting together with my cousin, who could pass for my big sister, and her sweet husband. Our company mixed and blended into the audience of others sharing time and space with meaningful company, and somehow the shared experience made us all one. That's the magic of live music.

Add into that alchemy the joy of discovering another new-to-me artist, and my evening was fulfilled. On the bill tonight was singer/songwriter/piano man Phil Vassar and his two back-up musicians (no drummer, though an audience member offered).

Phil Vassar, via philvassar.com/about



Whatever happens in a man's life to make him write about it may be a blessing, including awakening to the simple lesson not to miss your own life. And it makes a great song. Being on tour and away from family cannot be easy, and Virginia native Vassar sprinkled his 105-minute set with gratitude and enthusiasm for being back home. It was a happy man who took the stage tonight, who even rolled the bluesier songs into joyful riffs.

The audience had plenty of fans to cheer and sing along, but as a new fan, I could only cheer. The prompts for "what do you want to hear next" were easily answered, though I suspect some were inside jokes. One of the first requests was "Purple Rain"--and yes, Vassar offered a few lines of the Prince classic with a grin.

From the discography on his Web site, I see the wonderful anthem "American Child" was an album title; others I liked a lot were "Amazing Grace" (not the one you're thinking of), "My Next Thirty Years," "Black and Whites," and "John Wayne," a tribute to what it means to be a man. I think my brother would have loved that one.

Not being much of a music critic, I would have a hard time putting Vassar's music into a particular genre. He's a piano man like Billy Joel, with blues accents and an occasional '80s pop vibe (at one point I was "hearing" the soundtrack to a movie like Big somewhere in there). But Wikipedia labels him a country artist, so there you go. At one point, the self-described ADD Vassar joked that he was going to rap. And country rap is ... crap. 

Bah-dum bum. (See, we did need percussion, if only for the rimshot!)

love, hosaa
grateful for digital souvenirs after the live experience has ended

eta, photos of the live performance courtesy of The Birchmere's Facebook page:



And, thanks to Twitter, this fun convo with the artist:


No comments: