Saturday, June 17, 2017

Remembering Edward



June 17: Happy Birthday to Edward Duke, who would have been 64.

I've not really run out of things to say about him, but my memory is evaporating. I do recall the afternoon I spent in his dressing room at the National Theatre, where he was performing in Private Lives with Joan Collins. He had a long break in Act II when it was all about Joan, so we could visit for a bit.


I sat, and Edward lay flat on the floor to ease his backache. Conversation was awkward from that angle, but he filled a brief shy silence with a question that sounded almost like a litmus test.

"Do you like animals? I do."

Whether any discussion of our respective pets ensued, I don't recall. But I've used that line to fill in awkward gaps ever since.

love, hosaa
cat widow

1 comment:

antiquedress said...

Ok... so I was just sitting here thinking about that guy who I say do a one-man show in Cambridge MA about Jeeves/Wooster. I could remember no more than that other than I was wondering who that incredible actor was. Perhaps he was someone who was now famous. He was THAT good, so I wondered who it was. So I started Googling. Took about 15 minutes for me to google my way OH SO SADLY to the obit for Edward Duke. I was literally crushed. My brother died of AIDS in 1995. The fact that it took such an incredible talent as Edward too, just cut me to my core. His performance in Jeeves/Wooster was one mesmerizing. I see tons of Broadway, but his performance always rose to the top in my memory. I literally felt like I was watching more than one actor. Astonishing. I keep googling ( not sure why) and came upon your blog from years ago explaining your fascination and then your wonderful history with him. I’m glad he got from you the adulation I felt, and still feel, for his talent. Is your play published anywhere?? I’d be curious to read it. And thanks for keeping his memory alive.