Wednesday, November 10, 2010

"Sorry"

Sorry really is the hardest word.

I think I figured out why people don't say they're sorry. I kind of do it a lot, even when it's not really my fault. I just don't want people to feel bad. Especially me.

The problem is that saying you're sorry to people gives them permission to feel aggrieved.

"Yeah, you should be sorry! I hope you feel bad!"

Life really is like the fourth grade.

And the other problem is that, if I apologized for losing my temper with someone, my apology gets that person off the hook for the thing that made me lose my temper in the first place. And I will never get a reciprocal apology from that person.

Personally, I would never take back an apology. And I would never demand one. If I choose to forgive someone, whether he or she has apologized, it's to take myself off the hook of feeling victimized.

love, hosaa
apologetically

1 comment:

Belle said...

Good words. We cannot control how people respond when we say we are sorry. Some people are gracious, some are rude. That is up to them, but you are right, apologizing for our mistakes is the right thing to do for ourselves.