Friday, December 27, 2019

Books of 2019 (reading list)

A goal for this year was to keep better track of the books I read, and cataloguing my library (600+) unearthed a few gems. This is roughly in chronological order, with some overlaps (anthologies interrupted for change-of-pace material).


  1. Rediscovering Lone Pine by Andrew Popper. Fiction. (Re-read)
  2. The Happiness Curve by Jonathan Rauch. Sociology/Psychology.
  3. A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole. Fiction.
  4. Accessory to War by Neil deGrasse Tyson and Avis Lang. Military technology/History.
  5. "Master and Man" by Leo Tolstoy. Short story.
  6. Nijinsky by Lucy Moore. Biography.
  7. A Doll House by Henrik Ibsen. Play.
  8. Blandings Castle by P. G. Wodehouse. Short stories.
  9. The Art of Rivalry by Sebastian Smee. Art history/Biography.
  10. The Mueller Report (2-vol. PDFs) by Robert Mueller. Government report.
  11. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. Fiction. (Re-read)
  12. The Lower Depths by Maxim Gorky. Play.
  13. Scoop by Evelyn Waugh. Fiction. (Re-read)
  14. Memoirs of Jan and Eva Rocek (unpublished PDFs). Autobiography/History.
  15. Meet Mr. Mulliner by P. G. Wodehouse. Stories
  16. Diary of a Superfluous Man by Ivan Turgenev. Fiction
  17. America's Political Dynasties by Stephen Hess. History/Biography. (In progress)
  18. Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens. Fiction (Re-read)
  19. Nocturnes by Kazuo Ishiguro. Short stories.
  20. The Zebra Derby by Max Shulman. Fiction.
  21. Why Orwell Matters by Christopher Hitchens. Literary criticism.
  22. Paris Sketchbook by Mary Kelly, illustrated by Fabrice Moireau. Travel.

Aside from the books I re-read because I love them so, I most enjoyed Nocturnes by Kazuo Ishiguro (No. 19, but having finished the final story today). Now I am depressed that I'm all caught up on everything he's written. I need more!!

I was most deeply moved by the Roceks' memoirs (No. 14). They were scientists, Holocaust survivors, escapees from communist Czechoslovakia, and our neighbors in Bethesda for a short time in the 1960s--their sons were our classmates in elementary school during a time of segregation I was never fully aware of until we were older.

Not sure what to do with a library that's only about one-third read so far. They'll be hard to move but harder to part with. Culling will be a project for the New Year, but as I discovered with Nos. 20, 21, and 22 above, few books will leave my possession until I've read them. And even then....

Love, hosaa
What's next?

No comments: